Monday, August 20, 2012

A Happy Color, A Happy Me

I get many emails from various furniture and home decor stores.  They crowd my inbox and sometimes irritate and aggravate me, but I never unsubscribe from them.  Mainly because sometimes they lead to super duper deals like the one I got this weekend.  Let me tell you the story.

We have decided to go with a yellow, white, and gray theme in our first guest bedroom.  I know that the yellow and gray combo has been popular now for awhile and maybe it's getting "old", but I still love it.  And that's what matters, right?  I believe that you should love your own home and not get too wrapped up in color trends and design rules all the time (even though a few rules never hurt anyone).

So far, we have purchased these striped sheets from West Elm.


Aren't they lovely?  Along with my tree adoration, I have a thing for stripes.  Case in point - our old entryway runner and our old office rugs.  



Hmmm..maybe I had previously limited my stripe procurement to rugs.  Now things are about to get craaaazzzy.

We also have a white duvet cover to go in that guest bedroom.  I know some people might think white bedding (esp for the duvet cover) is crazy but I like it because you can bleach it!  I also like it because Amos has white and tan hair.  We used to have a plum colored duvet cover and it really showed his hair.  I don't know of any color that could camouflage Amos' hair, Rafie's orange tabby hair, and Cooter's gray tabby hair.  If you do, please let me know.

Let me get back on track.  On Friday, I received one of those pesky emails from Home Decorators stating that they were having an extra 20% off of their already reduced warehouse items.  So, I clicked on the link and started browsing.  Most of their furniture is much too stuffy and traditional for me, but then, I spotted this nightstand.


Gorgeous, right?  Funky/eclectic, charming, sunny yellow, and curvy in all the right places. Magnifique!  But the best part...the price.  Here is the breakdown.

Original price $179
Marked down to $84.99
Extra 20% off = $67.99

Woohoo.  That's a 52% savings!  So...I got Seth's approval and we ordered 2.  But that's not the end of the story.  Today, I get an email (on the last day of the extra 20% off) saying that they are offering free shipping.  So, I get on the website and investigate.  Now, you can order the nightstand and get FREE SHIPPING!  I loathe shipping charges.  I guess they are a necessary evil, but the store tricks you into thinking you are getting a great deal and then they pile on the shipping fees.  The shipping for the nightstands was $25 each.  Bluh.  I called them and told them to either give me free shipping on the order I had placed Saturday or just cancel it and I would re-order today to get the free shipping.  So, they credited me the $50 in shipping charges and the $4.88 in tax on the shipping!  Yay!!!

So for a grand total of $149.24 we will have two nightstands for our guest bedroom that will add a splendid pop of sunny yellow.  If I had purchased these at the original price (which I would not have done obviously), I would have spent over $400 for both of them, their shipping, and the tax.  I WILL TAKE IT.  I could probably have found something on craigslist, ebay, or at a thrift store for cheaper but I suspect that I would not have found something with such a unique design, might not have found two that matched (which I can live with but Seth has issues with - which is super unexpected if you know our personalities), might not be getting great quality, and would still have had to spend money (albeit not much) on paint to refinish them.  And, of course, there is the time I would have spent working on them that I will save and use for another project.  :)

I'm happy.  Now who wants to come stay in our guest room and use these babies?




1 comment:

  1. me! Can't wait to see the finished room, love the yellow/grey color scheme.

    Also, for a duvet to hide all of the pet's hair, maybe a calico pattern? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions...