Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Five Small Touches of Fall

I apologize for the decline in regular posting lately.  There are some projects in the works that I should be able to share soon.  I guess I am good at starting things but not always finishing them in a timely manner.  For now, I wanted to share a few more things I've done around the house to add small touches of Fall.

First, I found this doormat at Target a few weeks ago and just could not pass it up.  The size was too small for our front entry, but it works great at our back door leading out to the carport.



It makes me happy every time I see it.  I think it's the colors and the leaf motif.  It just screams fun Fall decor to me.  And it doesn't hurt that it color coordinates with the door fulfilling my strange need for things to match (which I am trying to let go of slowly).

Secondly, Seth and I bought some pumpkins at the local farmer's market a few weeks ago to put on the front porch.  It's nothing too fancy - we decided to keep it simple this year.


Maybe next year when we are more settled, we can spice it up a bit.  I think some height would definitely help so I'll have to be on the lookout for something to fulfill that need. Maybe some old crates or a discounted garden stool.  I also like the idea of spooky decor. Nothing with blood and guts but just a good amount of eeriness (is that a word?).  I like these ideas below that I found on Pinterest.  I think next year I'll try a raven/spider/insect theme.  






Third are a couple of new pillows I found on Overstock.  I got them for two reasons - 1) they have more Fall colors in them than our blue and green ones and 2) one of the colors in the fabric will surely coordinate with whatever color we finally decide to paint our front door (again with the matchy, matchy - it's a sickness).  



Fourth - I created a Fall tablescape.  Again, nothing too fancy.  I started with a burlap runner that I picked up last month on a visit to Collierville and some candlesticks and vases that I already had from West Elm.  I added some new green taper candles from Wal-Mart, some branches from one of our oak trees whose leaves had started to turn, a couple of orange owls that I picked up at Kohl's for 65% off and then another 20% off with my coupon, and some fake pumpkins that I found at Jo-Ann's and spray painted white and silver.



I guess I could have moved that step stool in the background.  But, hey, I'm keeping it real here.  This is how we are living - with boxes, tools, step stools, and bubble wrap all over the place.  

And....fifth.  While at the farmer's market this past weekend, Seth and I picked up a huge mum and a couple more pumpkins to dress up the mailbox a bit.  


Not a great pic with that shadow.  I said I was working on my photography but I didn't say I could control the sun. Eventually, I will learn what time of day I need to photograph each part of our house and yard to get the best lighting but I'm not there quite yet.  

So, with some simple, inexpensive additions we have added a bit more seasonal charm in our house.  It doesn't look like we're going to get a fireplace mantel installed before the end of October.  Maybe I'll be able to create a Thanksgiving mantel.  OH - and also for me a huge part of the holidays are the smells.  I bought the Apple Pumpkin fragrance from Yankee Candle (go to Bed, Bath and Beyond and use a 20% off coupon) and it is divine.  It makes our house smell just like Fall.  

What do you guys do to spruce up your home for Fall?  Do you have a favorite candle or fragrance that you use during this season?  Anybody decorating their porch with insects or ravens?

1 comment:

  1. love the fall decor! I also agree about the smells of the season as well, I have a pumpkin candle my mom got me at Bath and Body Works- i have been burning it a lot lately. My fall decor is mostly pumpkins, we have a bale of hay with a small scarecrow sittingon top, and a mum on either side of our front door. I love the fall colors in mums. I usually do fall decor in general and keep it out through Thanksgiving, then switch over to Christmas decor.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions...