Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What's New Underfoot?

I'll tell you.  Over the past few months, we have added three new rugs to our family.  I thought I'd give you a peek at these new additions.  You may remember that I already revealed our new dining room rug in this post.  Here he is in place.  Isn't he handsome? (Yes, I am aware that I randomly assign a gender to things in our home.)


Since we are leaving the leaf in our table at all times now that we have a l...o...n...g dining room (ie what was meant to be used as a formal living room), we needed a larger rug.  Our previous dining room rug was 8'x10' and just wasn't going to cut it.  I plan to purchase some nice upholstered (maybe wingback?) chairs for the head and foot of the table one day so I wanted to make sure that I found a rug that would accommodate my future plans for the space.  I'm not going to lie.  Splurging for a 9'x12' rug was painful. Large, decent quality rugs just aren't cheap.  But when West Elm had their 20% off rug sale and I used a 10% off coupon on top of that, the pain eased some.  I'm very happy with my decision.  The rug is colorful and modern.  It's also hooked wool instead of tufted making it easier to slide the chairs in and out and reducing shedding.  

We also added a new living room rug.  Our old living room rug is a 5'x8' citron-colored dhurrie (also from West Elm) that is now brightening up our home office.  I have plans for pops of color and pattern in the form of throw pillows and possibly new upholstered chairs, so I envisioned a solid colored rug.  Our first purchase was this rug from Overstock.  When it arrived, it was a bit darker than I expected.  The color and the corduroy-like ridges just screamed 70s to me.  It had to go.  Our second purchase was another Overstock find and thankfully, it is here to stay. 



I love how the rug is variegated and its color changes a bit in different light.  The rug is interesting while still reading neutral.  Seth and I purchased a new sofa three weeks ago (ahhh....and I wish it would just get here already) that will be covered in a dark gray fabric and I think it will go just splendidly with our new rug.  

Our third rug purchase (also from Overstock) was for the first guest bedroom.  As I mentioned in this post, I decided on a yellow/white/gray color scheme for this room.  So when I saw this rug, I was hooked (pun intended).  


As you can see, the rug is gray and ivory.  It's difficult, dare I say impossible?, to find a rug with true white in it.  It is bothering me a little how white the bookcase and duvet appear when compared to the rug, but I'll get over it.   I think once the room is finished, it will all come together okay.  

Now, the only other spots that need rugs are the entryway (I'm thinking an indoor/outdoor rug like this one for durability) and our back guest bedroom.  Whew.  I guess when you have a house with hardwood and tile throughout you are forced to invest in a lot of area rugs.  

1 comment:

  1. love the rugs, esp. the colors in the dining room one. I know how you feel about the off white of the guest room rug with the white on the duvet and bookcase. Had a similar thing when doing Kayden's nursery. So the furniture we got was off-white, and didn't really think about that as much when we bought it. So our trim is white, as was a bookshelf and glider- that Matt's parents had re-upholstered for us. So when they came to deliver the furniture I was second guessing it on the color, b/c it seemed to class with white on other furniture and trim. But I did love the look of the furniture. So we went out to buy some paint that matched the shade, and paint the bookshelf and body of the glider. That proved to be a pain as we took a knob off of the dresser to match, and the knobs were a different shade than the actual dresser and crib. So after bringing the first can of paint home, we realized- thankfully before painting everything. So we set out to try and match the color as best as possible, and got pretty darn close where I don't think you would have found a shade that matched better. So in the end I got over the trim, and the fact of the bedding have true white in it. But for a while I was torn about it all, b/c I am a mis-matchy person like you- I think we are much alike in the way we think on decor- and Type A ishness :) - but you are way more creative on decorating!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions...