Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Guest Bathroom Inspiration

One of two spaces that we haven't really touched in the house is our guest bathroom.


We inherited some amazing peach colored floral wallpaper, a peachy-pink toilet (and sink and bathtub), and TONS of tan tile.  Also, those painted vanity knobs.  They are dangerous.  The middle one has snagged my jeans on multiple occasions.  (Why haven't I removed them yet?)

After almost a year and a half of enjoying our retro bathroom, I have put together a couple of mood boards to kick off the makeover.  Notice that I used the word "makeover" and not "renovation". That's because a reno is out of reach for us right now.  If we weren't dealing with half-tiled walls, it would be a lot easier.  I fear that behind that tile is an inch of mortar embedded in wire mesh (kind of like what John and Sherry uncovered in their first house).  This makeover will be a bandaid until we can afford a full reno.

I'm thinking something like this...

Guest Bathroom Mood Board1  //  2  //  3  //  4  //  5  //  6  //  7  //  8  //  9  //  10

or like this...

Guest Bathroom Mood Board 2
1  //  2  //  3  //  4  //  5  //  6  //  7  //  8  //  9  //  10


The background for these mood boards is Benjamin Moore's Emerald Vapor, which I am considering for the wall color.  The teal chevron fabric and the teal ikat fabric (both #5s) are what I'm considering for the shower curtain.  For the artwork I'm torn between two Michelle Armas prints (#3 in both mood boards).  I will wait to decide on the vanity color and knobs (#s 8-10 in both boards) until after I finalize the shower curtain fabric and which print I will use.  I am pretty set on the mirror - just waiting to find a discount code before I order it.

Three additional projects that I'd like to tackle are refinishing the peachy-pink bathtub, replacing or refinishing the peachy-pink sink (and replacing the faucet), and adding shelves to the middle of the vanity for extra storage (like John and Sherry just did in their master bathroom).  I'm pretty sure that our tub is cast iron (i.e. not fiberglass) so I'd like to salvage it if possible.  Does anyone have experience with tub reglazing? Does it hold up?

I'm setting the goal of finishing this project by the end of February.  I think that's reasonable.  I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions...