Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Quick Mason Jar Pincushion and Blog Improvements

Now that I'm a sewer (yes, I'm using that term very loosely), I needed somewhere to stash my thread and straight pins.  When I saw this tutorial on Pinterest, I knew it would be perfect.


I was able to put it together in less than ten minutes with things I already had in my craft closet.  I used a fabric sample I had ordered from Spoonflower awhile back.  I cut it into a circle and sewed a simple running stitch around it before stuffing in a small piece of foam wrapped in batting.  I placed the lid on the bottom and pulled the thread tight before tying it off.


I didn't hot glue my fabric to the lid and I skipped adding the felt circle to cover the raw edges of the fabric.  If I was giving this as I gift, I might have made the extra effort, but I decided it didn't matter that much to me.  I think it turned out so cute.  When my collection of thread gets larger, I may have to make a second one.

Ok.  On to the second topic for this post…

BLOG IMPROVEMENT!

Long time readers have witnessed at least one "blog redesign" around here.  I put that in quotations because when I "redesigned" the first time, I was still using standard Blogger fonts and layouts.  Although it was definitely an improvement over the original look, the blog was still too generic for my liking.  I knew nothing about HTML or CSS coding and had no idea how to make my blog look the way I wanted it.  

So, I started reading and after some trial and error I was finally able to change my blog title font to something fun and more "me".  You may have noticed that I also found a code to center my blog title, my post titles, and the date of the post.  I also found a code to get rid of the pesky border that Blogger places around photos.  There are still some things that I'd like to improve, but I'm pretty happy with the new design.  

I'm also going to start resizing my photos before uploading them to the blog.  This should help the site load more quickly.  I haven't decided yet if I will continue to watermark them.  

I'm open to feedback and suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions...