Friday, April 18, 2014

Our New Living Room Vignette

FINALLY.  I figured out what to do with the blank wall and sliver of floorspace on the far side of our living room.


After seeing this bench in Dara's plans for her entryway and in the master bedroom John and Sherry designed, I made a trip to Target to check it out in person.  When it was on sale, I couldn't resist taking it home with me.  I was worried about the scale, but it turned out to be a perfect size.


I redid our pet silhouettes and hung them in their original frames after spray painting them white.


This is what the silhouettes looked like in their former life.  


They were pieces of black poster board that I had traced the pictures onto, cut around, and mounted on white poster board.  For the redo I detached the black poster board, flipped the white poster board over (because the tape left imperfections), centered the silhouette, traced around it, and then used a small paintbrush to paint over the pencil line with acrylic paint.


I'm happy with how they turned out.  I didn't want to detract from the art behind the sofa or the mantel decor so my goal was something with less contrast and I think these are working.


I also found this large snake plant (or mother-in-law tongue or whatever it is you like to call it) at Lowe's to complete the vignette.  I love how little light (and water) these plants need - ideal for our living room that has only one window.  


Has anyone else recently found the perfect solution for a spot in your home that's been sitting empty for months?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions...